An array of tax limits that affect businesses are annually indexed for inflation, and many have increased for 2020. Here are some that may be important to you and your business.
Social Security tax
The amount of employees’ earnings that are subject to Social Security tax is capped for 2020 at $137,700 (up from $132,900 for 2019).
- Section 179 expensing:
- Limit: $1.04 million (up from $1.02 million for 2019)
- Phaseout: $2.59 million (up from $2.55 million)
- Income-based phase-out for certain limits on the Sec. 199A qualified business income deduction begins at:
- Married filing jointly: $326,600 (up from $321,400)
- Married filing separately: $163,300 (up from $160,725)
- Other filers: $163,300 (up from $160,700)
- Employee contributions to 401(k) plans: $19,500 (up from $19,000)
- Catch-up contributions to 401(k) plans: $6,500 (up from $6,000)
- Employee contributions to SIMPLEs: $13,500 (up from $13,000)
- Catch-up contributions to SIMPLEs: $3,000 (no change)
- Combined employer/employee contributions to defined contribution plans (not including catch-ups): $57,000 (up from $56,000)
- Maximum compensation used to determine contributions: $285,000 (up from $280,000)
- Annual benefit for defined benefit plans: $230,000 (up from $225,000)
- Compensation defining a highly compensated employee: $130,000 (up from $125,000)
- Compensation defining a “key” employee: $185,000 (up from $180,000)
Other employee benefits
- Qualified transportation fringe-benefits employee income exclusion: $270 per month (up from $265)
- Health Savings Account contributions:
- Individual coverage: $3,550 (up from $3,500)
- Family coverage: $7,100 (up from $7,000)
- Catch-up contribution: $1,000 (no change)
- Flexible Spending Account contributions:
- Health care: $2,750 (up from $2,700)
- Dependent care: $5,000 (no change)
These are only some of the tax limits that may affect your business and additional rules may apply. If you have questions, please contact us.
Information provided on this web site “Site” by Thompson Greenspon is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the user, and is not intended to be a substitute for the user seeking personalized professional advice based on specific factual situations. This Site may contain references to certain laws and regulations which may change over time and should be interpreted only in light of particular circumstances. As such, information on this Site does NOT constitute professional accounting, tax or legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.
Although Thompson Greenspon has made every reasonable effort to ensure that the information provided is accurate, Thompson Greenspon, and its shareholders, managers and staff, make no warranties, expressed or implied, on the information provided on this Site, or about any other website which you may access through this Site. The user accepts the information as is and assumes all responsibility for the use of such information. Thompson Greenspon also does not warrant that this Site, various services provided through this Site, and any information, software or other material downloaded from this Site, will be uninterrupted, error-free, omission-free or free of viruses or other harmful components.
Information contained on this Site is protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without the expressed, written consent of Thompson Greenspon. All rights are reserved.
Ready to talk to one of our specialists?
Our specialists are all seasoned professionals who have years of experience working within your industry. Reach out to us today to schedule a consultation.